Saturday, September 29, 2018

Zion Day #2

See the very peak of this rock formation?  That is what Matt said we were conquering today...Angel's Landing!!
 We were up early to try and beat the heat.  This hike was no joke!  First steep switchbacks up the front side of the mountain
 with lots of breaks along the way...both to catch our breath, but also
 to catch glimpses of the gorgeous valley views.
 Matt claimed I was "part mountain goat" as I zoomed up faster than him.  It was partly true, but really so I could keep my momentum.  Frequent stops made it harder to get started again.
 We enjoyed the nice reprieve from the sun and inclines as we made our way through "Refrigerator Alley" which led to the back side of the mountain.
 Then to may favorite part, Walter's Wiggles!  21 super steep and super tight switch backs that left our legs and gluts burning!
 This is where I called it quits...2 miles up and on solid ground.  The last .5 miles were along shear cliffs with only a small chain keeping you from falling to your death.  No thanks!
 I chilled in the sunshine and chatted with the other "wimps" while Matt tempted his fate alone.
 He said it was life-changing and totally worth it.  I'll take his word for it and thought my views were pretty enough!  It was probably the coolest hike (at least vertical hike) we've ever done and I'm so glad he pushed me to do it!
After a picnic lunch up top on the landing, we headed back down.  We made a game of who we thought would successfully make it up as it was now past noon and super hot!
Matt let his feet cool off in the Virgin River and we headed to the lodge for a well-deserved drink before walking back to camp for dinner and another campfire and smore's.