Monday, October 23, 2017

New Orleans Day #2

We were up early to get some exploring in before Matt had to present at the conference.  We took the trolley down Canal St. and walked along the Riverfront to the French Quarter.
Our first stop was obviously Cafe Du Monde! OMG...they were worth the hype!
 From the Riverfront...a beautiful view of Jackson Square.
 From inside the square
 St. Louis Cathedral
 From inside the cathedral
 From Jackson Square, we walked down to Bourbon Street.  I just loved the architecture with balconies, storm shutters and a variety of colors.
Bourbon Street was cool to see, but smelled like stale beer and urine!  It had narrow streets, was pretty dirty and not all that impressive during the day.
 We had a good lunch at Crescent City Brewing Co and tried alligator for the first time.  It pretty much tasted like a pork chop, but not bad.
 I got my first shrimp po' boy of the trip!
 Back to the hotel for Matt to shower and get ready for his presentation.  He presented along with Jamie and Charisma, representing the many agencies that assist with human trafficking in San Diego. The panel also consisted of 3 representatives from Louisiana.  I sat in the back and loved having the chance to hear Matt speak on the topic he is so passionate about!
We met back up with the group for dinner.  I tried gumbo and actually really liked it.
 We had drinks at the rooftop bar of NOPSI hotel
 and then went down to Bourbon St.  to check out the night life.
 It was definitely more like I anticipate.  Bigger crowds, live music and lots of drinking, but hated seeing all of the homeless (both young and old).  I tried my first hand grenade...a very sweet drink made with Midori...way too sweet.
Then it was back to Cafe Du Monde before heading back to the hotel.  Twice in one day, but so worth it.  I spontaneously threw powdered sugar all over Adam.  It was hysterical, but I'm just glad he didn't retaliate!