Sunday, August 13, 2017

Move In Day

Well move in day was finally here!  We were up early for the 7:30am check in at Ellsworth residence hall.  Taylor got her key while we unloaded the car.  We were pretty organized with everything in suitcases and all of the Target purchases stuffed into her storage containers which made the process pretty easy.
Emma doesn't move in until Wednesday so it was up to us to determine the layout of the room.  We peeked in on a few others for ideas, but eventually came up with a set up that seemed to work!  They are right across from RA and the women's bathroom and on the main level so no need for the elevator or stairs!
Matt moved all of the furniture to get Taylor's bunk to the right height  and put her desk next to it. I helped make the bed while Taylor filled her drawers and hung her California flag, lights and pictures.

She got her shower caddy and desk organized
while Allison hung everything in the closet.
 Emma will be bringing the fridge and microwave, so we filled the cabinets with dishes, silverware and cleaning supplies.  I think they will really like having the sink!  Emma will also bring an area rug and tv which will make it homier!
We took a quick walk through Daisy Hill to see the other buildings 
and made a quick stop at Mrs. E's, where Taylor will eat a lot of her meals.
 Andrew stopped by to check out the room and we had a quick lunch together at Cane's before heading to the greek life meeting.
 The meeting was held in Budig Hall...such a beautiful building on Jayhawk Blvd!
 Taylor attended the student session and the 3 of us attended the family session to learn all about recruitment week.  She is going to have so much fun this week, but she will be busy!
 Then it was off to Mass St. for one last dinner at Limestone. It was a special time for all of us that I will cherish...lots of stories and smiles.  The goodbye didn't hit me until we started driving back towards the dorm.  I cried as I drove and reached back and held Taylor's hand until we pulled in.
 We took one last family picture
and said our goodbyes inside her room.  I've had anxiety about this moment for months and can't believe I had to let me baby go.   She is so happy and so beyond ready, but it felt like I had been punched in the gut.  It literally felt like I couldn't catch my breath for a few hours.  She is off to do great things and I'm sure it will get easier with each phone call, text or update, but for now it hurts!
2 months until I see her again...one day at a time!