Friday, October 2, 2015

41

I had to work in the SD office for most of the day, but had a nice lunch at PF Chang's with Marie and Kimberly. 


When I got home, Matt and the girls surprised me with Peterson's Donuts, a Baskin Robbins cake and a gift bag full of new clothes!  Allison went to soccer practice and then we all had a good dinner at Uncle Bob's!
Then this morning, we dropped the girls off at school and Matt had one more surprise waiting.  He had asked me to take the day off of work, but didn't say what we were doing.  After about a 30-40 minute drive east, we pulled into a gravel lot at Warner Springs Sky Sailing airport.  Yikes!
I was initially freaking out, but decided to embrace the adventure.
Pollly was my pilot for my flight and she was so sweet and informative.  She made me feel comfortable  since she has been doing this since 1978!
 Our glider rope was hooked to the tow plane and then we quickly headed down the runway.  We stayed attached to the tow plane until we reached 9,000 ft.
 Polly gave me instructions on all of the gadgets and the science behind the glider.
 Once we reached our desired altitude, we released from the tow plane and watched it fly off to the left.
 We spent the next 30 minutes flying over the mountains, with clear views of the ocean and many surrounding lakes.
 We also went right over Palomar Observatory!  It was a beautiful clear day!
 Once we descended to 4,000 ft., Polly prepared for our landing back at the airport.  She monitored the winds, air traffic and altitude and taught me quite a bit about sky sailing.  It was a great adventure and we landed without issue (maybe just a little nauseous, but totally worth it)!!
Matt was waiting for me back at the airport and then we headed a little further east for lunch in Julian.  We had a nice time walking around the cute town and taking in the apple pie smell that fills the streets.  I wasn't all that excited about turning 41, but Matt and the girls made it a great celebration!