Friday, January 29, 2010

Poetry Night

Mrs. Atkinson's 4/5 combo has been working hard on poetry and different writing styles all year long. She wanted the kids to share what they have learned at a Poetry Night for all of the families to attend. Taylor is always so nervous to be on stage and talk into the microphone, but she did a very nice job (red face and all!).
Her poem was called Sometimes:
Sometimes life can be sorrowful,
Sometimes a breath of fresh air.
When I was 8 sadly my dog died.
I despise people who are mean to others.
I enjoy taking pictures, cooking and playing soccer.
I like going to the beach with my friends.
I dislike spiders, snakes and rats.
When I am discouraged, I could fill the ocean with tears.
When I am excited, I could jump for the stars.
But when I am cheerful, I can do anything.
I am special because I have true feelings that make me, me.

After all of the students read their poems, we mingled and enjoyed some cookies and juice. Mrs. Atkinson loves her students dearly and works so hard for them. This event was no exception. Taylor will certainly miss her next year, but is so excited to see her in Palm Desert for her soccer tournament this weekend. I don't know many teachers that would do that!