Friday, October 17, 2008

Reflections Gallery Night

Last night was our Reflections Gallery Night at school. I was the coordinater this year so it has been a long process to get to this event. The theme this year was "WOW" and the kids could express this through Visual Arts, Literature, Photography, Music, Dance or Video. We held a workshop in Sept. for the kids to brainstorm and start a project. Entries were then due Oct. 3 and I went to judges throughout our community to judge our 140 entries. Last night we honored each participant with a certificate and the top 3 placements with a trophy. The top winners per category will now go on to represent our school at the district level. I guess we have some talented kids, cuz they were both winners(yes, it was fair and square). Allison won 3rd place in photography for this turtle photo she took at Sea World this summer.


Taylor won 1st place for the photos she took at the Wild Animal Park in August and she won 3rd place for her Literature entry describing the Roar and Snore experience at the park. Her giraffe photos will go on to the district level.

There was such amazing talent this year and it was fun to view at the Gallery Night. Some of my friends helped me get all of these displays up so the families could come in to view.
We played classical music as they browsed through the displays and had a table with juice and cookies.
I overcame my fear of public speaking and got up in front of all of the families to describe the program and honor all of our participants. I stressed about it, but I'm glad I did it and can put it behind me! Next year's theme is Beauty Is.... and I look forward to being involved again.