Thursday, April 18, 2013

Counting My Blessings

On Saturday, March 9th, I was stunned to feel a pea-sized lump above my collarbone, so eerily familiar to 20 years earlier when I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease.  It took a while to process...one part of me saying the chance of reoccurrence was almost zero, but the other part saying here we go again!
On that Monday morning, I was at the lab for blood work and seeing my doctor that night.  He was confident that it was just a swollen lymph node and my labs showed no signs of trouble, but he couldn't argue with my anxiety given my previous history.  We both agreed a referral to a general surgeon was the best option, but only after enjoying our stress-free hawaiian vacation (which actually was stress-free).
Upon our return, I met with the surgeon.  He didn't
 seem too concerned either, but also agreed that I would never have peace of mind without removing the mysterious lump.  He ordered a CT scan to see what he would be dealing with during surgery and after a few days of stressful anticipation, the CT showed no signs of reoccurrence!  Great news, but it still didn't explain things fully.  I had more pre-operative blood work and a chest X-ray and surgery was scheduled for the 16th.  I did my best to stay busy, trying not to let negative thoughts take over, but this proved to be the most emotionally draining experience of my life.  I didn't fear the surgery, but worried about what could be ahead!


Surgery day had finally arrived.  My emotions seemed to get the best of me, but everything went smoothly.  The hospital staff couldn't have been more caring and Matt was a wonderful support!!
Dr. Keenan said the lump was smaller than he expected and the surgery was easier than expected...more positive news.  I went home with a one-inch incision and 2 steri-strips, but felt very comfortable and confident.  Matt and the girls took very good care of me and friends were so kind to help with rides and call throughout the day. Stacy brought balloons and candy and Wendy made us dinner and dessert!!
I didn't expect to get any results until my follow-up appointment on Monday, but this morning while at Allison's Talent Show, the office called.  EVERYTHING IS NORMAL!!!!  It's explained as a benign lymph node with no further testing needed.  I had been envisioning this call for weeks, but had also prepared myself for a very different one.  I feel so very blessed to put this behind me and celebrate 20 years Cancer-free in just a few short months!
I am proud of myself for being my very best advocate and facing my fear head on.  I'll hug Matt and the girls just a little tighter tonight and I don't know when I'll wipe the smile off of my face!!