Monday, November 19, 2012

No Longer Allowed at Urgent Care

A month or two ago, Taylor hurt her big toe nail...not sure how, maybe soccer or something.  The toenail lifted a little and looked bruised underneath.  Fast forward to tonight and the already injured nail was pretty much hanging by a thread when she rammed it into the back of her other foot while getting up from the kitchen table. 
 Off to Urgent Care we went.  The doctor soaked it in iodine before examining it.  He knew the nail would have to come off, which required a few shots of lidocaine in the toe to numb it.  I sat on the bed with Taylor, holding her hand and trying to be helpful.
 However, my "emotional response" to needles got the best of me and I was soon on my own bed, thanks to the doctor!  I felt really light headed as he made the injections (BTW, I didn't watch.  I just heard him talking to her about it).  I excused myself and sat in the hallway outside her door so I wouldn't pass out in front of her, but the doctor said I had to be in the room since Taylor is a minor.  When he saw how ghostly white I was, he asked another staff member to bring in my own bed. I never fully passed out, Taylor's nail bed is still intact and we all got a good laugh out of it.
Taylor will have quite the ugly toenail for a few months as it regrows and I now know, I am no longer allowed anywhere near the Urgent Care if needles or blood are involved!