Saturday, September 15, 2012

Riding Shotgun

Matt invited me to do a ride along with him before he switches back to day shift.  He has been on the department for almost 18 years and this was my first time riding shotgun with him!  I brought cookies to the deputies while we sat in briefing and we were off to our first call within a few minutes...a possible shoplifter at Kohl's.  As Sergeant, Matt doesn't have to go to every call, so we took a little time for dinner and then he drove me all over town.  One of our first stops was to surprise our friends that live in the area.  Mark, Julie and PJ have had some neighborhood trouble so we stopped by to check in.

PJ loved talking into the speaker and seeing the lights on the patrol car.

For the rest of the night, we kept plenty busy and I saw more in 8 hours than I could have imagined.  From transients, to traffic stops, a car racing and running into a light post to a horrible DUI crash, I am amazed by how much these officers do each night.  By 2:00am, I was tired and headed home to get a few hours of sleep before coaching all day Sunday, but I loved every minute of my night.  I have always respected Matt's line of work, but have a new appreciation for the risks they take and the love they have for what they do.  I am so proud of him and would love to ride shotgun with him anytime!!